Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Online Dating with a Broken Picker

Ah, the pitfalls of online dating! Just the phrase "online dating" sounds kind of sad and lonely. There was an old song once that went, "In the year 2525 ... pick your son, pick your daughter too. From the bottom of a long glass tube. Whoa-o-o" Is online dating the precursor to this?

I've known a few people who have tried sites like Match.com, etc. I'm not sure if any of the "dates" worked out, but how bad could it be, really?

Let's see. I get an array of pics to view (I'm sure it's not like the photo lineup from that robbery in Miami a few years back) and a slew of profiles to read (which I am sure are filled with catchy and well thought out, best-foot-forward" info) all of which have been collated for me using an algorithm (I hated Stats class) that includes a index- to ring-finger ratio that measures testosterone levels (huh?) I'll just sort through these--throw out any that look creepy, ugly or like my ex and chose my next hostage, er mate. Right?

The only problem is, I've got a broken picker. I wouldn't know a good man if he sat across the table from me. And that's the real problem with online dating. The lack of interaction that's called "chemistry" which no mathematical genius has been able to successfully replicate thus far. There has to be some sort of spark between two people and I'm not sure that's going to come from a pic and a profile. Sure, you can go through the motions, meet meet these men and women you've chosen face-to-face, but honestly, I barely have time for sleep, let along an hour a pop to figure out a perfect stranger's finger ratios.

And while the divorce rate in the U.S. is down for the period 2000-2010, according to the CDC the marriage rate in this country is also down, which I think is more about money than mojo--or lack there of.
Mom always said, it'll happen when you're NOT looking. Well, she's been right about so many other things. I think I'll give it a try.

Good hunting.

No comments: