Thursday, September 3, 2009

It's So Hard to Say Goodbye

For many people, making decisions about how to proceed with a terminally sick animal is just as gut wrenching as it would be if they were human. Unfortunately, the options are far more limited, though the pain is just as great. 

As humans, we oftentimes project our own thoughts, feelings and desires onto our furry, fuzzy and feathered family members. And when the end comes, we oftentimes want to do for them the things that we would do for our human family members. We lavish affection, treats and care. We spend time with them that we would normally spend on our work, home, etc. And when their time nears, we hope and pray it will be peaceful and quiet, just as we would for ourselves. But if not, we have to remember that we are entrusted to care for them - no matter how hard it may seem. 

But at the end of the day, animals, like humans, don't really want treats. They just want to be close to the people in their lives that they love. I've had to make the hard decision twice now, and I may have to again far sooner than I would care too. I can tell you this - it doesn't get any easier. But I know that God speaks as much through my babies as he does through people. 

They teach me about unconditional love, loyalty and what is really important; the "what" versus the "how" of my life. So I'll spend more time with the family and friends that love and care for me, and who allow me to love and care for them. For they are gone far to soon from our lives - and goodbye is so very hard to say...

1 comment:

william said...

The love we share does not go away when we go to the other side its the thing we take with us. It's part of heaven. Bill