Monday, September 7, 2009

What vs. Why

Someone asked me today what I write about. That's easy. I write about the "what" of my day - the things I see or hear as the day unfolds. The tricky part is to capture the "why" of those encounters. I usually write at night, so I have my jammies on and usually a cup of tea. Tonight, I am indulging in a bit of chocolate, and the message inside the foil reads, "It's never too late for a fresh start." 

Today, I spoke with a man I hadn't seen in some time. He looked haggard, thin and profoundly unhappy. I wondered why, as seemingly his life is quite on track. Why was this person so sad? You could see it in his eyes. In the closed-off body language; the tightness around the lips; the slouched shoulders; the emptiness. That was it. The emptiness. 

Here was a man with so much promise in his life. Promotion at work, new house being built, loving family and friends. Yet, his eyes looked washed out and empty. Why, with so much going for him, was he standing there looking so damn unhappy? And then I remembered how I had had that same look on my face at one time. Since then, I've learned that happiness doesn't come in shiny boxes. It doesn't live in a fancy house, drive an expensive car or have great luggage. (Well maybe great luggage) Happiness comes from within - with a sense of purpose, usefulness and belonging. All the other stuff only enhances that feeling. 

I’ve also learned that life is full of DO-OVERS, Thank You God. Why? Because we are perfectly flawed beings. We get a fresh start - a second chance, a new serve, a do-over. For no other reason than because we are loved by Him. Hopefully that man finds his fresh start - his do-over. Lord knows we all need one - or two - or ten. 

Second piece of chocolate (I worked out, so I can be extravagant) bears the following message: "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." Glad I had that second piece. There's still time to have another...

No comments: