Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Loaves and Fishes

From time to time, mankind is in need of a little redemption. This little story from the New York Times about the Loaves and Fishes Cafe did it for me:

It not only speaks about the kindness of strangers for one another, but about the resiliency of spirit. I gotta tell ya, I'm not sure that I would have stuck around for a New England winter after having my town nearly washed away. I don't know that I have the fortitude that these people did--and do.

Schoharie (pronounced Sko-HAR-ee), is a small hamlet in upstate New York, where friends and neighbors, strangers and passers-by have cobbled together a place of respite for the many residents who were inundated by the once-in-a-lifetime, back-to-back smack-downs the little town took from Mother Nature last year; namely, Tropical Storm Lee in August and then Hurricane Irene in September.

According to the story, the Loaves and Fishes cafe started out as just a group of people using outdoor barbecue grills after the storm. With no power, a community shared what it could. Then, little by slow, more food appeared. A casserole here, a pot of soup there. It's never the same from day to day, and the little group that serve as wait staff and community glue don't know what will come tomorrow. But as the Rev. Sherri Meyer-Veen said, "We just can't keep up with God."

I couldn't agree more.

No comments: