Monday, January 9, 2012

Now, the Unraveling

Ok, so Jakadrien Turner is now back on US soil in the loving arms of family and friends. Now, the tangle of lies, ineptitude and strange Facebook postings can perhaps be unraveled and revealed to an American public up in arms about how a 14-year-old girl could dupe officials into believing she was 22 and Columbian.

Now, I understand the ineptitude part. I myself had once penned a note bearing my mother's signature to the Monroe County Sheriff's Office requesting that her car, which had been impounded the night before when a friend and I were stopped for careless driving coming out of the Caribbean Club (that's another story altogether), be released to my custody-which they did. I was only 14 at the time, and let's face it, the Monroe County Officials of the 1980s were rather laid back. Stoned, might be a better word - or maybe it was the right combo of rum and coke and sea air. I also understand Jakadien's partying down in Columbia--it's what kids do.

What I don't understand is why this girl kept up the charade so long? And what drove her out of the house is the first place? And would she have kept up the ruse if she hadn't have been found on FB?

That her family is going to sue every agency involved was a given, even before they announced it. We live in a litigious society--and it's always somebody else's fault...

More will be revealed, and I suspect it is not what everyone might expect.

No comments: