Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Response or Reaction

No matter where I go - there I am. I didn't really understand what that sentence meant until today. Now I understand that my knee-jerk reactions - those unfortunate slips of the pen and tongue - are always just brewing beneath the surface.

Today was a perfect example. I made the mistake of thinking that all professionals act in a professional manner. Not so. Just because a person is proficient does not necessarily make them a professional. Nor does it mean that they act in a professional manner. Let me explain.

I was invited to the weekly luncheon of the Rotary Club to hear our district's House Representative speak. He opened the meeting in a light-hearted, upbeat manner, relating information about new budgets, the upcoming election and his ending tenure as House Representative. When the session was over, I asked a few questions about an issue not discussed.

A reporter from the other weekly newspaper in my town was standing by waiting to take photos. As I had not yet composed a shot, I allowed her to take the lead and pose her shot. Not wanting the same shot, I hung back. This is where the fun starts.

Not liking, nor wanting the posed shot - I waited until the representative had begun a conversation with another man and attempted to take that shot. It was a more natural shot and would have complemented a segment of his speech I found interesting. However, the reporter had other ideas.

She stood up and told me not to take the same shot as her. I raised my camera to take the shot as the men were starting to move - when she stood in front of my camera and told me not to shoot "her group."

Somehow I had missed the part where she got dibs on camera angles and the "group." And I guess she missed the Rotary four-way test that was above her head.

But who am I to judge?

Now this where reaction meets response. In another life, I probably would have snarled a "f%#* off" and pushed past her to get the shot - in turn making myself look as unprofessional as she did. Instead, I smiled, thanked her, turned around and walked away. You see, it was the response versus the reaction.

I no longer need to lower myself to the standards of those around me. Instead of reacting to the remarks or behaviors of another, I can respond - in a sane, mature fashion. In other words, I took the high road, though it may have cost me as I am still out a photo.

Yet, I have to look at my part. I could have tried to explain that I didn't want her shot, that I was just trying to get a shot - any shot. But in a cinderblock-walled room, there is limited opportunity for good shots. I could have tried to get another angle or wait for a few moments and approached the representative again. But, to be honest, I felt like I had been slapped. Quite frankly, it took me by surprise and I was knocked off my game. But that's OK - I only make mistakes once, now.

It's probably good that this was just a small gathering with an outgoing political figure. I can learn how to be prepared for this kind of thing - as I know it will happen again. Like when the G'ville Sun stole my eagle story. I had to learn that even an editor can stab you in the back, so it's best not to trust anyone too far.

But - and this is a big but - here in Small Town people tend to be a bit more polite and civil. They exhibit the true southern gentility the South is known for. And to treat others, especially someone who is a guest rudely is the height of bad taste. By not reacting to her ugly behavior, I forego the same anger, stress, hurt or fear that she obviously has to bear. I get to maintain the quality of my life, and for that I am truly grateful.

Perhaps I'll join the Rotary. Or maybe the Kiwanis - The Golden Rule might be easier to remember than a four-way test.

Peace, my friends.

1 comment:

william said...

Hi Michelle
Well good for you.You did the right thing and her day will come. As for me I would have went with the can I see you in the bathroom for a secound. I am still not well yet.
Bill