Sunday, March 20, 2011

Voicing your Dreams

"However you get to it, if you find your own voice, and language that is meaningful to you, you will have a set of words that, like a poem, makes your heart beat faster, and gives your idea life for all to see." ~ Cheryl Heller, Heller Communication Design.

I thought the above passage to be quite interesting - and true. There is nothing more satisfying than to know that your work has purpose and meaning. While Ms. Heller is speaking of people in her industry, both designers and the clients that hire them, I found her words to be inspiring - prophetic, if you will. (In another piece she quotes Ishmael, so I had to read on.)

It made me think about the work I want to do. Again, while she is talking about designing, I think you can apply this truism to whatever your calling may be. The point is to have an idea, something that drives you - something that is meaningful to you - and I mean more than just in a monetary sense. It's too much of a copout to say that we do it just for the money. Money is great, but you can't take it with you and it won't keep you warm at night.

Can I get an Amen to that?

I'll get a chance to hear her speak tomorrow. It will be interesting to find out where her "voice" is taking her.



1 comment:

william said...

Glad your back to taking time to write just for yourself :]