Friday, May 16, 2008

Berlin By Day

It's nearly 9 p.m. here in Berlin - so far, so good. Lots to see and do, and the weather held out for us. A bit of a sprinkle, but it just makes the streets glisten.

I like to just walk and listen to the sights and sounds around me. The voices of people working or talking over a coffee. People actually talking to one another - not a cell phone. It would seem that Berlin may be an exception when it comes to the world's fascination with being connected.

There are quite a few shops - one had chocolate in more forms than I can remember seeing outside a candy factory. Although I have not yet found a dona kebab, I did find a great place for fresh ice cream. And a bratwurst at the Prater, one of if not the oldest biergartens in the city.

We checked out one of the last remaining sections of the old wall. A former watch tower there has been converted to a memorial and you can literally look over the former no-man's zone. I also watched a few minutes of film about people escaping from the east in the first days of the wall. People literally jumping from their apartments into the waiting hands of strangers below. Talk about a leap of faith. It made me think back to having made my own leap of faith - and the strangers who saved my life. How different my life is today...

The city is quite nice. It's after 9 p.m. and I can still hear birds singing outside the window. The hotel sits in a neighborhood off the busy Alexanderplatz and the lobby has a hot spot, so I can work next to the open windows and enjoy the fresh air and sounds.

The clothes are a bit tamer than I had thought I'd see - then again, it was broad daylight. We shall see how the night owls dress tomorrow. We have a bike tour of the city planned for the morning and then I'll meet with some friends in the evening. I hope to get pictures posted in the afternoon.

Until then, gute Nacht and be well.

4 comments:

william said...

Hi
Sounds great.Off to Delray House of Siam with Colleen and new friend.Have a great night Billy

Danielle's Mom said...

I trust that the bike tour was enjoyable- sounds like a much more pleasant way to see a place than any other means of transport! Having never actually been to Berlin, I am hoping that there aren't a lot of hills! Hope you're having a good time and look forward to seeing pics.
~Jennifer

Michael said...

Michelle,
It is exciting to read the advevturous words you have written. The bicycle tour doesn't seem to be as convienent as a mini-coup I'm sure. None-the-less, I wish I were there. Let it be known that your no-nonsense character and stunning appearance is dearly missed. Daintry says hello and hopes all is well. Unfortunately, the AT&T slogan,'Reach out and touch someone' is not an option I have today. That said, this missive must suffice. In closing, I pray the Lord will protect your tiny feet as they travel the road your on and I promise a pampering of your feet is awaiting your return. My eyes long to see you and my voice to fall upon your ears wispering this," . . . very much".
Love Always,
Michael

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.