Saturday, May 10, 2008

Letting Go...Easier Said Than Done

I have come to realize that even when things work out the way I want them to, there are can still be a downside.

Yesterday, a legal situation that had been dragging on for about 18 months was finally resolved - in my favor. Yet, even with check in hand, I had this ugly feeling of smug self-righteousness that did not sit well with me. I kept thinking of how I felt so superior, so victimized, so justifiably angry. I really had to take a look at my part in the situation and where I had been to blame.

Yes, I was well within my rights to pursue legal recourse - which I did. Backing them into a corner with threat of arrest was the only way these folks were going to make good.

But I have to say, letting go of the feelings of bitterness, anger and resentment were not easy. These people put me through a lot of unnecessary anxiety, not to mention money and time. But the lessons have been well learned. To not insert myself into the outcome of a situation, to let people earn my trust, and to not allow those who can't afford beach-front property to rent any space in my head. I need to trust that I am where I need to be and to just let go - as much for their sake as my own.

The choice is mine...

2 comments:

william said...

Glad to hear everything work out well in this matter.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.