Sunday, May 18, 2008

More 15 Minutes...

Saturday's weather proved to be more than we could have anticipated. A 10-mile biking tour with guide Mariel was informative and exhilarating, as we weaved through the city streets - both east and west. The progression of history is evident in the architecture and the reconstruction. Evidence of WWII is still evident, as well as the deconstruction of the former communist government, although monuments and memorials to both abound.

Later, we attended a carnival on the outskirts of town. I am not sure how our fearless leader found this locale - deep in the heart of a somewhat questionable area - or maybe we just came in through the back door. Thank God for the trail of bread crumbs and drug dealers we had to find our way out. I will only say that the extra 15 minutes we stayed enjoying the mud and muck put a bit of a damper on this crew member. Were it not for my fellow hostages, er, student travelers, I might not have made it back intact. However, dry clothes and dinner at a Thai restaurant restored my spirits.

Check out our fearless leaders comments on the day
berlinblog2008.blogspot.com

Until later, M

2 comments:

Barbara :) said...

Dear Michelle,

I'm so glad you are getting to see so much of the city (and all the good food!!!). It sounds wonderful -- I can't wait to see your pictures. I hope the weather improves.

On a sad note, I failed my CPA exam, but I'm actually feeling okay about it. I'm only 7 points away from passing and I already filed my paperwork to retake it the first week July. So, I am just taking life on life's terms (as you have taught me to do).

Barkley and I miss you, and hope you continue to have a great time!

Love, Barbara xoxo

Danielle's Mom said...

Gotta love those bread crumbs! My Mom has said that to really know someone, you must go camping in the rain...it tends to bring out the best and/or the worst in people. Those are the experiences that not only test our strength, but also make life more memorable! (...remember that time when...oh it was awful!)
Hoping Sunday was better!! Will tune in later for your take on the Stine sisters...(your fearless leader has not posted any thoughts on this so-called carnival. Hmmm.